Silver Spring dentist and orthodontist Dr. David Rever has been serving patients in our community for more than 30 years and offers patients comprehensive treatment options. Dr. Rever has completed the International Association for Orthodontics (IAO) two year comprehensive orthodontic training program and served as the Mid-Atlantic IAO board representative. A commitment to continuing education enables him to stay current on the newest orthodontic systems and technology.
Dr. Rever offers individualized orthodontic care for children, teens and adults and can help you or your child achieve a beautiful, healthier smile with the right treatment choice. The range of choices available today and use of modern techniques and appliances can shorten your treatment time and provide better results. When appropriate, the use of invisible braces for teens and adults is an effective way to address both cosmetic and occlusion problems, even after previous orthodontic care.
Orthodontics: What Can We Treat?
In addition to cosmetic concerns affecting the aesthetics of your smile, orthodontics are commonly used to realign the bite, addressing different types of malocclusion:
- Excess Spacing or crowding: Spacing or crowding could mean there is too little or too much room between the teeth.
- Overjet: The upper, front teeth protrude past the lower, front teeth. This condition is sometimes referred to as “buck teeth.”
- Misplaced midline: A condition where the front of the upper and lower teeth’s center lines don’t properly align.
- Overbite: The upper teeth have excess vertical overlap, thereby covering the bottom teeth. In severe cases, the bottom teeth will begin to touch the roof of the mouth.
- Open bite: The upper and lower teeth have no vertical overlap.
- Under bite: The lower front teeth protrude past the upper front teeth.
An imbalance in the bite often prevents the teeth from making proper contact, leading to worn teeth, damaged teeth and bite problems. For this reason, early intervention is often recommended for children with malocclusion to create a healthier foundation as the permanent teeth erupt.
Orthodontics may also be recommended to treat the effects of thumb sucking and other oral related habits that can adversely affect tooth development. Known as myofunctional habits, thumbs sucking and other oral habits common in young children can affect the development of the teeth as well as their speech. Dr. Rever will monitor your child’s oral health as they grow, making appropriate recommendations as needed to ensure that they will enjoy a healthy, functional smile for the long run.
Orthodontics in Silver Spring: Treatment Options
Dr. Rever offers all types of orthodontic treatments, from traditional metal braces to invisible aligners from Invisalign®. He treats patients of all ages, including adolescents and adults. He will evaluate all aspects of your bite and dental health and discuss your cosmetic concerns as part of the treatment planning process. Dr. Rever will work with you to determine the most suitable treatment option for addressing your unique dental health needs and your long term cosmetic goals.
The length of your treatment time will be dependent on the type of braces required and severity of your oral health concerns. For some patients, treatment may be as short as a few months. Dr. Rever will discuss all aspects of your overall recommended orthodontic care, including a timeline and what to expect.
- Braces: These are metal brackets and wires that treat more serious cases of malocclusion.
- Ceramic braces: The ceramic braces mimic the design of metal braces, but the brackets are tooth-colored or clear. This makes it easier for braces to blend in with teeth, and are nearly invisible.
- Lingual braces: The lingual braces are metal brackets, but they are located on the back of teeth. One of the most unnoticed orthodontic treatment options.
- Invisalign®: A custom-made series of invisible plastic aligners to treat mild to moderate cases of crooked, crowded, protruding and unevenly spaced teeth, as well as bite problems.
- Fast Braces®: A patented orthodontic device that utilizes special brackets and wires to rapidly realign the roots and crowns of the teeth.
- ClearCorrect™: Similar to Invisalign, ClearCorrect is a clear aligner orthodontic system that straightens teeth in a discreet way.
- Six Month Smiles®: A cosmetic braces system that utilizes tooth-colored wires and clear brackets to straighten teeth in six months.
Schedule A Complimentary Consultation with Dr. Rever
To learn more about how orthodontic treatment can improve your long term dental health while also enhancing the aesthetics of your smile, schedule a complimentary orthodontic consultation in our Silver Spring dentist office with Dr. David Rever. We welcome new patients of all ages and offer individualized care for all of your oral health needs in one convenient location that serves many local communities including Burtonsville, Laurel, Colesville and Columbia, MD.
In addition to straightening your teeth and aligning our bite, Dr. Rever has over 30 years of experience keeping smiles healthy with patient focused general, cosmetic and restorative dentistry. To schedule an orthodontic consultation, contact us at (301) 637-0960 or request an appointment online.