Dr. David Rever is dedicated to properly educating and treating his patients on their gum health. With proper care and maintenance, patients can preserve the health of their teeth and gums. Poor oral health habits can result in the development of gum disease. Gum disease is a progressive bacterial infection that affects the surrounding tissue. The development of gum disease can also cause issues in other parts of the body, so it is important for you to get checked regularly.
Signs of Gum Disease
- Bleeding gums during and after brushing and flossing
- Persistently bad breath and bad taste
- Gaps between teeth
- Swollen or sore gums
- Receding gums
- Loose teeth
Periodontal Therapy: What to Expect
Dr. Rever will assess your gums and determine the best treatment for your oral health needs. Our Silver Spring dentist office only uses advanced technology and high-quality materials when diagnosing and treating gum disease. Dr. Rever will go over proper brushing and flossing techniques to make sure you lower your risk of developing gum disease.
When gum disease arises, Dr. Rever may suggest periodontal therapy to restore your teeth. If left untreated, gum disease can spread to the bone that supports teeth, causing discomfort. In some cases, gum disease can also cause tooth loss. However, Dr. Rever is a skilled dentist, who is specially trained to handle any form of gum disease. In the case of gum disease, we offer surgical and non-surgical solutions.
Periodontal Therapy Treatments
- Scaling and Root Planning: Plaque and tartar are skillfully removed from underneath the gum tissue, using ultrasonic instruments and hand scalers.
- Gum Grafting: If the advancement of gum disease is severe, it may be necessary to take gum tissue from a healthier part of your gums and implant it where necessary.
- Periodontal Plastic Surgery: A reshaping procedure that changes the appearance of the gum tissue.
- Periodontal Laser Treatment: an advanced laser removes the diseased gum tissue. This kind of treatment offers patients less discomfort and gum shrinkage.
- Crown Lengthening Surgery: This procedure removes gum tissue to increase the length of the teeth. This surgery can be performed for cosmetic reasons or to secure a dental crown.
Schedule an Appointment
Dr. Rever welcomes new patients in our Silver Spring dentist office. We serve many local communities including Burtonsville, Columbia, Laurel, and Laytonsville, MD. To schedule an appointment, contact our office at (301) 384-1263 or request an appointment online.